Firewall Riveting…and drilling out.

After the hype of completing another priming session, I was excited to get going on Firewall riveting. Unfortunately it was one of those sessions that ended up turning into a frustrating 3 hours. (Yes, I’m writing this entry almost a month later….it took me that long to get re-engaged in the project!) I was back riveting, and in some places I needed to use the longer back riveter. That along with using rivets that were probably too long, I ended up folding over a ton of rivets. It’s interesting that I had convinced myself that the rivets were probably ok even though my gut was that they should be redone. It was great to bring in some expert eyes (Thanks Paul!) and he agreed that it’s best to drill them out and redo it. Ugh… hours wasted, but it’ll be worth redoing later. I did get some rivets done, but many will come out. Here are some photos from the day. 

Well… not every session is good, and this was definitely one of them.  About the only thing that kept me sane was my hangar buddy Percy. He makes sure everything is copasetic. Next session I will fix the firewall rivets that were drilled out, and get going on the floor assembly. Until then…Happy Building!

1 comment

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *